Friday, May 30, 2008

My new computer

A few times ago, I bought a new computer. I didn't invest more than 150$ in a computer for years (7 at least), except when I bought two new 22" Flat screens in November 2007. So it is a major change to me.
My config is quite a standard one:
  • Asus P5N-D motherboard
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (easy to over clock in case it becomes necessary)
  • 4GB of DDR2 800 (much more than necessary since I use less than 10% in everyday use)
  • Asus Nvidia 8800 GT PCIE video card (don't buy this one choose a 8800GT from any other supplier. I will explain why later)
  • Antec Sonata III (silent, good power supply and low price)
  • 750 GB Seagate hard drive
  • A hold 70GB hard drive
  • Simple DVD player/writer from LG (no need for Blue Ray at this time)
  • Microsoft Confort Curve 2000 keyboard (it's the keyboard I prefer for typing)
  • Logitech G5 v2 mouse
Regarding software it's quite simple:
  • Ubuntu 8.04 as main operating system (on the 750 GB hard drive)
  • Windows Vista Ultimate (just in case and for gaming) (on the 70GB hard drive)

My old computer (I bought it one year ago for 150$) is now used as Mythtv backend and frontend for my TV and videoprojector.
The config is:
  • AMD Athlon 2500+ with quite big and silent heatsink
  • 1GB of ram
  • 500 GB hard drive (I bought a new one because I need a lot of space for recorded programs, and it's more silent)
  • I added a hauppauge PVR 150 with Windows media center remote and receiver (I'm desappointed since I find the image very blurred)
  • Nvidia 6600 GT AGP (disappointing since most of passive fans on the market do not support this card)
  • everything is in a unkown box..
  • Mythbuntu is the operating system. I made some configurations to allow the computer to stop and restart automatically to record programs

    No comments: